TOTAL TIME: 15 mins COURSE: Appetizer, Entree Salad
CALORIES: Shrimp & Calamari Burger: 140 calories, Salad 255 calories (per serving)
SERVINGS: 4 servings
The best caprese salads use a handful of fresh and juicy ingredients. Our delicious Shrimp & Calamari Burgers add protein and a healthy, savory taste. Keep it simple, low calorie and Keto friendly with this classic Italian salad. -Capt. Denis
• 3 Large Tomatoes: (sliced) Splurge on the juiciest tomatoes you can find. Make sure they’re ripe with no hint of green and are about ready to burst.
• 8 ounces Mozzarella, sliced, or bite sized portions Again, don’t skimp! Grab a big ball of fresh, creamy, authentic mozzarella.
• Handful of Fresh Basil: Look for a bright green color and a fresh aroma that makes you feel like you’re wandering through an Italian garden.
• 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil: Everyone has their favorites but use your best. We recommend an extra virgin olive oil, cold-pressed.
• 1 Tbsp. Balsamic reduction: (see preparation below) Like the olive oil, use your best brand.
• Salt and Pepper: Use a flakey salt, or coarse sea salt for that perfect bite and texture. Add freshly cracked black pepper for the finishing touch.
SHRIMP AND CALAMARI BURGER PREPARATION
Sauté the Shrimp & Calamari Burgers. Add a little Olive oil to a sauté pan and cook on medium heat for approx. 7 minutes per side. Make sure they are fully cooked!
(You can make the Balsamic reduction a head of time, or you can start the reduction with the Shrimp & Calamari Burgers, and they should be ready about the same time.)
Add 1 cup of balsamic vinegar to a small pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the temperature and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Reduce it by 1/3 or 1/2, depending on how thick you like it. (Refrigerate and save any extra for next time.)
SALAD PLATE PREPARATION
Add a slice of tomato to your serving plates, then add a slice of mozzarella. Save some Mozzarella for the top of the Shrimp & Calamari Burgers. Place fresh basil leaves in between the layers. (I prefer smaller basil leaves to keep them whole, but if you have large basil leaves you can cut them into smaller portions.)
Add the cooked Shrimp & Calamari Burgers on top and drizzle the olive oil and balsamic reduction over your Italian masterpiece! Sprinkle with salt and pepper, then serve immediately.